Pages

Mountains are done

Finished the mountains quite some time ago, but some technical problems got in the way. My GPU crashed and burned so I had to stick with integrated GPU which meant that performance on quite a bit of stuff was rather low. Interestingly enough, performance on Headus UV layout was tragic on integrated GPU, pretty much unworkable.

But anyways, finished the mountain meshes, here are some shots.





Learned quite a few things in World Machine, but still feels like there is a long way to go before I can say that I’m good with it. Workflow is much more different that I’m used to, but it does make sense once you get past the initial barrier. Still haven’t come up with a good pipeline on how to tweak results out of WM, like adding specific features in, say, Zbrush once you done in WM. Tweaking and sculpting the heightmap isn’t really an issue but if after you sculpt it and you think of plugging it back to WM for texturing it gets really fiddly. For texturing you need certain information that heightmap alone simply doesn’t provide, although there are workarounds for that but in the end they still don’t provide great results. So at least for now, I got to be quite careful when tweaking heightmap afterwards, since I’m not doing textures afterwards but rather have to be sure that my tweaks work well with existing texture.


I’m sure there are ways to get past this but my tiny brain can’t figure it out. Yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment